Half-Life Alyx

I sure know a lot about something I don’t own…

Haha just run that VR test and it’ll show you how many frames below 90 you got, if any. If you didn’t get any below 90 you’re good to go.

I’ll do this tomorrow. I’m drunk and super angry at a client who hasn’t paid in over a year.

1 Like

For VR the frames are split in half for each eye, so in the case of 90 vs 120, it is a very noticeable swing, per my experience. I still had plenty of fun with VR with 90 and normal (not max) settings, but maxing and 120 is just another league. Setting foot in City 17 with the detail ramped is a pretty phenomenal experience. Being a fellow HL enthusiast, I promise this won’t disappoint

1 Like

What’s the minimum amount of space needed?

I think the vive’s minimum is like 1.5m x 2m. I personally have 2m x 2m and I’m not going to lie I constantly hit the wall by accident. 360 movement can also be an issue with the whole cable management if you have a wired set like I do.

Unless I’m completely wasting my time with all that and you meant disk space. The download was around 48GBs.

Is the index wireless?

Private Investigator Gordon is asking the questions!!!

I’m outsourcing my googling to you guys lol

2 Likes

Not wireless but probably a third party option out there, but visual quality lessens

How do you not get tangled?

It’s pretty easy to ‘feel’ where the cord is while in VR. It just becomes second nature. It’s like having a ten foot pony tail. Most headsets have pretty solid/thick cords that aren’t prone to twirling and tangling in general. That said, people have gone through elaborate efforts in making ceiling pulley systems and stuff. And then there is a piece of software some people use to keep track;

Overall it is a non issue in my opinion. I’ve never gotten tangled.

1 Like

Sounds like a good thing for small spaces.

I was going to say what @ButtStallion posted as well. A lot of games are smart enough to just give you turning with controllers. All the movement assist stuff in Alyx is phenomenal. I just put another 2 hours in and it keeps getting better. Very immersive experience and so many cool details. I’ll give one that won’t spoil anything.

You walk into a room where you look over at a set of windows where someone took markers and drew a map of a certain area. There’s an eraser and markers still there. You can erase as much or little of the picture as you want, pick up markers and draw etc. I drew a picture and wrote some words and it looked identical to my real hand writing. I went on the opposite side of the glass and saw a dusty reverse image of what I drew. This has nothing to do with the story, just immersive details to pull you in.

All the physics goodness is there too. You grab different parts of bodies and lift and flip to search for ammo clips and items. It is awesome

2 Likes
3 Likes

Looks like it has turn options, which is always nice. Or if your feeling ambitious you could always mount a hook to the ceiling above your play area and run the cables up there.

Oh how i love pc modders :smiley:

1 Like

Half-Life: Alyx Update 1.2.1 released

Changes:

• Fixes for issues with carrying contained objects (e.g. objects in a crate).

• Fix for hand orientation on Windows MR and Vive systems.

• Fix for some missing haptic feedback on Windows MR systems.

• Fix for controller systems that don’t have support for skeletal hand animation.

• Fix for exhausting GPU memory on Proton.

• Fix for several crashes.

• Fix for not properly falling back to English subtitles when selecting a language in Steam that is unsupported by Half-Life: Alyx.

• Improved rendering of Japanese narrow subtitles.

• Fixed a regression which rendered an empty subtitle panel even if the subtitles were only visible in the spectator window.

• Localization improvements in multiple supported languages.