Steam Deck

The rumored portable Steam device is announced as a reality;

As a fan of the Steam Controller and Link I’m interested. It has all the frills that Steam Controller has with touchpads, gyro, triggers, etc. Good WiFi/Bluetooth. Plus I like portable systems (though this thing is pushing the boundaries of “portable”). I think I might just be tempted to throwaway some money on this thing.

2 Likes

This can either be amazing or crap! I have seen some nice portable Gaming PC things about lately so hopefully Steam do us proud!

1 Like

Why buy this when you can buy a switch and play mario games at 480p 7fps???

1 Like

Hm maybe I’d finally play No Man’s Sky

On game pass

upside-down on a swing-set!

Who wants this? I’m a switch dock player… don’t think I’m the demo…

I like this handheld stuff for travel mostly. Easier on a plane than a laptop

2 Likes

Also great in bed. Or out on the deck. Or on the toilet.

1 Like

Deck on the deck, eh?

This is confusing. How many parents will buy the wrong thing?

2 Likes

Imagine being a parent so out of touch on everything that you can’t differentiate elgato streaming deck and steam deck. Imagineneeeeeeeeeeee

1 Like

Just for fun :wink:

1 Like

word is, its having trouble with games like PUBG that run anti cheat software.

But I’m the same mindset as @ShiftySatchmo I could see me using something like this if travelling or away from home for convenience. But when I’m at home? I have no desire to not be on my PC and my ultra wide monitor. I think I must be weird by todays standards. I mean I have no desire to even surf the web or anything on my phone, when I can just walk over to my desk and have a nice chair and big screen.

wooohoo gameranx

1 Like

" My game uses anti-cheat, which currently doesn’t work with Proton - how do I get around this for Steam Deck?
We’re working with BattlEye and EAC to get support for Proton ahead of launch."

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/steamdeck/faq

There’s no way in heck I’d want to use this for competitive multi anyway. It would be a nice way to get through some of these 10000000 hour games I don’t have time for otherwise. Maybe I’ll finally play MGS V

2 Likes

My biggest concern is how hot will it get and how loud will the fan be when it gets that hot.

1 Like